Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 27, 2011

#ASCD11 Day 2 – Focus on Evaluation « InterACT

ASCD Day 2 – Focus on Evaluation « InterACT

ASCD Day 2 – Focus on Evaluation

I’m back for more at the ASCD 2011 Annual Conference. I came to the conference with two main goals for my own development: learn more about implementation of professional learning communities, and learn more about teacher evaluation. Yesterday I hit sessions about PLCs, and today’s focus will be evaluation.

The most interesting session yesterday was a presentation by the folks from Barrington Public Schools, in Rhode Island. I was impressed at their process and their human touch in thinking about teachers and students. But the lingering question for me turned out to be more about the teaching profession. I’ll take what I learned at their presentation and try to put it to good use in my own school and district, but I kept coming back to the part of their story about teachers voluntarily adding days to their work year in order to do professional development. I