Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Washington Teacher: From The Bottom Up!

The Washington Teacher: From The Bottom Up!

From The Bottom Up!

Featuring, Candi Peterson - WTU General V.P.

I started out my union career as a Washington Teachers' Union building representative for itinerant teachers and related service providers. Years ago, a soon to be departing colleague urged me to take on this role because she was planning to retire. She argued after all that I would be good in this job because of my outspokenness. I remember thinking how could I reach the almost 200 or so union members who were spread out in our schools. Building ties to people, came easy for me in part due to my background in the field of social work. I reasoned to myself that a great deal of my career