Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Seattle Public Schools community blog: Dammit Oprah! (Let's Get Diane Ravitch on Her Show)

Seattle Public Schools community blog: Dammit Oprah! (Let's Get Diane Ravitch on Her Show)

Dammit Oprah! (Let's Get Diane Ravitch on Her Show)

I tape Oprah because she sometimes does a worthwhile show but this, her last season with this format, has been dismal.

You can imagine my dismay when I saw that Oprah's show opened today with her favorite...Michelle Rhee. Turns out Rhee isn't taking any job (I'm sure she would have had Meg Whitman won the governorship in California). She's going to start a program for "kids". She complains there is no one to speak for kids.

First, I'm sorry but what an ego. There are many, many groups that speak for children in the country who have existed for a long time (even speaking for education). She claims that if you ask kids they all say they want a good teacher. I'm sure that's true but they also want a pony and an iPhone. We can all be for kids but we also know as adults we have to make decisions for them. It's always been a cheap argument to say "do it for the