Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Guggenheim and Baldwin Learn an Inconvenient Truth | Intercepts

Guggenheim and Baldwin Learn an Inconvenient Truth | Intercepts

Guggenheim and Baldwin Learn an Inconvenient Truth

Davis Guggenheim, director of Waiting for Superman, was interviewed by A.V. Club (h/t: Russo) and was asked, “How does it feel to have teachers’ unions attack the film?” He replied:

“It sucks. I mean, when you make An Inconvenient Truth, it’s not difficult to have your enemy be Exxon Mobil or the dirty coal company. In this case, I’m a Democrat, and I believe, I really believe in unions, I’m a member of a good union. So that was an uncomfortable truth for me to have to talk about, but I’ve tried to make a reasonable film. I don’t know where it’s written, but somehow it’s written that you can’t criticize the unions. Otherwise, you hate teachers.”

And we’re hearing the same lament from noted lefty actor Alec Baldwin in his Huffington Post column headlined