Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jaime Escalante, Non-Conformist And Craftsman - Perdaily.com

Jaime Escalante, Non-Conformist And Craftsman - Perdaily.com

Jaime Escalante, Non-Conformist And Craftsman

jamieesclante.jpg
Good teachers are one of a kind. Teachers like my old Government teacher Marvin Katz and English teacher Eugene Friedman from my days at Monroe High School. Good teachers who individually configured their own nuanced approach to teaching courses in a way that wasn't just going through the motions. What I have always found to be true is that students -- even the students that don't try -- definitely know the difference between a good teacher who is trying to inspire them and a teacher that is just phoning it in and watching the clock with them.

When I started teaching 24 years ago, I initially thought this is going to be easy after the first year. I'll just get the lessons together in Government, U.S and World History and after that it will be easier to deal with the mountain of work in addition to classroom time that any good teacher must spend in reading and grading what