Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 13, 2010

LaJollaLight.com | Annual Hearts and Scholars dinner brings together UCSD students and donors

LaJollaLight.com | Annual Hearts and Scholars dinner brings together UCSD students and donors

Scholarship recipients express their gratitude to generous benefactors on Feb. 11

Brennan Pursley never planned to continue his education after high school. Then he experienced first-hand how difficult life was without a degree. Today, Pursley is a double major in physics and applied mathematics at the University of California, San Diego. And he is captivated by physics research, thanks to a scholarship named for a former UC San Diego chancellor-who was a scholarship recipient himself-and his wife.

From cashier to line cook to "sandwich artist" at Subway, Pursley managed to get by after graduating from high school. But the work was often physically tiring, and at the end of the day he barely had spending money even though he still lived at home with his parents. Then he met his future wife and realized what their life together would be like if he did not have a college education, and career. "I knew she was something special and that was motivation enough for me to go back to school," says Pursley.

With a new-found drive, Pursley enrolled in community college with the intention of becoming an engineer. It was there that he discovered his passion for physics.

"In high school, I had been a straight 'C' student," Pursley recalls. "After one semester of college I was a straight 'A' student and I felt rejuvenated. I had to juggle a job with my studies which were getting more difficult, but I knew I was on the right path."