Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 22, 2021

Back To School Covid Myths (Doug Green) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Back To School Covid Myths (Doug Green) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice
Back To School Covid Myths (Doug Green)




I have had a hard time locating actual classroom observations of hybrid teaching and learning. I did find that The New York Times sent journalists to visit seven different urban and rural districts that provided some evidence of what occurs in schools during the pandemic.

Doug Green emailed me that he had visited a small district near where he lives. I asked him to send me the results of his observations. Dr. Doug Green is a former teacher and principal in upstate New York. He blogs at https://DrDougGreen.Com

Since March of 2020, I have read countless articles about remote schooling. I have yet to see a convincing study on the relative quality of remote and in-person schooling, but I have seen many authors make unequivocal statements in favor of the in-person model. Whenever I see people stating hypotheses as facts I try to come up with reasons why they might be wrong, so here are the problems I find with the general consensus.

As part of my post-retirement professional life, I am the independent observer for a local school district. There I get to observe 120 teachers from K to12 thanks to the fact that our government doesn’t trust our principals to fairly evaluate CONTINUE READING: Back To School Covid Myths (Doug Green) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice