Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

PSST…THERE’S A PANDEMIC GOING ON. – Dad Gone Wild

PSST…THERE’S A PANDEMIC GOING ON. – Dad Gone Wild
PSST…THERE’S A PANDEMIC GOING ON.



“I believe in kindness. Also in mischief.”
― Mary Oliver

 

It’s been my experience that when dealing with the unpleasant – be it debt, employment dissatisfaction, marriage infidelity, health risks, or school shortcomings – we often default to a strategy akin to sticking our fingers in our ears and making loud noises in hopes that if we don’t acknowledge the issue, it will cease to exist. In essence, we seem to think if we can just ignore the negative, the positive will transcend all challenges. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we try, reality has a way of making itself known, oftentimes to our greater detriment.

Over the last several months, I’ve watched us as try to apply the same strategy to the pandemic, with predictable results.

Before we dive in, let me offer this disclaimer. I am far from a strict adherent to all safety protocols. Due to work, and personal necessity, I have been out in public since inception. I was probably a little slow to adopt adequate mask-wearing, but I’ve socially distanced, lowered my circle of interaction, and been as cautious as possible. Throughout it all, I’ve come to recognize the severity of what we face while also balancing recognition of people’s personal rights. A balance that leaves me open to criticism from all sides. I freely admit I don’t have all the answers but some things are fairly apparent to me and warrant pointing out.

The first thing that needs pointing out, is we are still in the midst of a pandemic with case numbers rising. Let me say that again because while that may seem apparent, many seem to have lost sight of the fact. Specifically while arguing over whether or not schools should be open. Factors and CONTINUE READING: PSST…THERE’S A PANDEMIC GOING ON. – Dad Gone Wild