Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Covid-19 Has Eroded My Faith in Public Schools | gadflyonthewallblog

Covid-19 Has Eroded My Faith in Public Schools | gadflyonthewallblog
Covid-19 Has Eroded My Faith in Public Schools




I am a public school advocate.

I teach at a public school.

My daughter goes to a public school.

I have spent most of my professional career fighting for public schools against every form of school privatization imaginable.

But since the beginning of this school year and the incredibly reckless way many public schools have dealt with reopening and keeping students and staff safe, I feel much of that enthusiasm drying up.

It’s not something I’m proud of feeling.

I’m actually kind of embarrassed about it.

But there are so many people I will never be able to look at the same way ever again.

There are so many organizations, unions, school boards, administrators, policy makers who have lost my trust – perhaps forever.

I’m not saying I love charter schools or private schools.

I don’t. CONTINUE READING: Covid-19 Has Eroded My Faith in Public Schools | gadflyonthewallblog