Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 14, 2020

JOE MATHEWS: I Deserve an “A” For Flunking My Kids’ COVID-19 Distance Learning

I Deserve an “A” For Flunking My Kids’ COVID-19 Distance Learning

I DESERVE AN ‘A’ FOR FLUNKING MY KIDS’ DISTANCE LEARNING
Yes, I’m Doing a Poor Job—But Parents Have Become the Scapegoats for a Failing System


I’m proudly doing my duty as a California parent. I’m flunking distance learning.
Distance learning is the term for our new COVID 19-era educational regime, which forces teachers and students to conduct classes and handle schoolwork at a distance, using the Internet. Under this system, we California parents must bridge this distance, valiantly instructing our own children at home to make sure that actual learning takes place.
Millions of California parents, including yours truly, have found this a frustrating, even impossible task. But after seven long weeks of distance learning, I’ve made my peace with flunking this particular exam.
Because failure isn’t merely an option when your job is to transform into a teacher in the midst of the worst pandemic in a century. Failure is the point of the exercise.
If parents were to turn into awesome teachers under this hastily organized set-up for internet home schooling, imagine the fallout for our educational system! If parents could surpass some teachers in instruction, how could teachers’ unions still defend their weaker members? If I could administer my home classroom effectively, what justification would California school districts have for employing expensive administrators? And if students performed just as well at my kitchen table as they do in a classroom, why would construction firms ever again make campaign donations to school board members who approve new buildings?
Educational success, in these circumstances, would be nothing less than an attack on public education. So if you’re one of those parents who is still following every instruction on Google Classroom, and trying to give your kid a leg up, I must ask: What the hell is wrong with you?
For the sake of California and social cohesion, those of us with school-age children must accept CONTINUE READING: I Deserve an “A” For Flunking My Kids’ COVID-19 Distance Learning