Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Progressives Have All the Answers, Except for How to Provide Educational Justice - Philly's 7th Ward

Progressives Have All the Answers, Except for How to Provide Educational Justice - Philly's 7th Ward

PROGRESSIVES HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS, EXCEPT FOR HOW TO PROVIDE EDUCATIONAL JUSTICE




I’ve had the chance to travel a lot in my work as an educator and activist, and frequently I find myself in what I call the “too-expensive-for-Black folks” cities.
You know, those cities that present themselves as magnets for change and opportunity, but when you look past the facade (my friend and colleague Chris Stewart likes to call out all the hot yoga, tofu, paper straws, miles of bike lanes, and green this and green that), you uncover something deeper and more troubling.
After they’ve told you how healthy the soybeans are for like the millionth time, and you finally get to ask the seemingly simple question, How are the children?—it is met with devastating disappointment.
Everyone progresses with a progressive platform, apparently, except for Black and Brown children.
I wish I could claim disappointment, but sadly I’m not surprised at all by the CONTINUE READING: Progressives Have All the Answers, Except for How to Provide Educational Justice - Philly's 7th Ward