Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 22, 2019

Illinois pension buyout plan is a bust and I’m shocked – shocked – to know there’s gambling going on. – Fred Klonsky

Illinois pension buyout plan is a bust and I’m shocked – shocked – to know there’s gambling going on. – Fred Klonsky

ILLINOIS PENSION BUYOUT PLAN IS A BUST AND I’M SHOCKED – SHOCKED – TO KNOW THERE’S GAMBLING GOING ON.

Those running this state never give up on trying to avoid confronting the state’s huge public pension debt with anything but stupid schemes instead of timely, actuarial payments.

They tried their schemes again when they all praised themselves for agreeing to Rauner’s third budget try.
They included a pension buyout plan in the bill.
I said it was stupid at the time.
Their brilliant idea was that the savings would come from voluntary buyout programs for people eligible for state pensions. Former public workers who are vested in the pension system would have the option to completely cash out their pensions at 60 percent of the value, which they could then invest on their own.
Well, hell, what retiree with a constitutionally guaranteed pension with an annual 3% compounded increase wouldn’t want to cash in their pension at 60% of its value?
I guess I might think about it if I was suffering from dementia and nobody was watching out for me, or on my death bed.
Illinois legislators promised this would save hundreds of millions of dollars in pension costs and cited actuarial studies showing the same.
Only the legislature’s actuaries, according to a report by the Civic Federation, studied CONTINUE READING: Illinois pension buyout plan is a bust and I’m shocked – shocked – to know there’s gambling going on. – Fred Klonsky