Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Keeping retirement weird. Charters, unions and my aging memory | Fred Klonsky

Keeping retirement weird. Charters, unions and my aging memory. | Fred Klonsky:

Keeping retirement weird. Charters, unions and my aging memory

corky
Corky Siegel and me a few years ago on Live from the Heartland.
The kids gave Anne tickets to go see Corky Siegel and his chamber blues band last night at City Winery. It was a birthday present.
I got to go along.
It was a great show. I stopped Mr. Siegel and showed him a picture from my phone of the two of us when we both were guests on Mike James and Katy Hogan’s radio show, Live from the Heartland. 
Of course, he had no memory of this. He is 73 and I’m pretty sure meeting me was not a major event in his long career.
My memory of Corky Siegel goes all the way back to the Siegel Schwall blues band in the 60s.
He is one of the the reasons I decided to take harmonica lessons at the Old Town School of Folk Music.
I was doing okay the first semester.
But at the start of semester II we were to go around the room and demonstrate how we could bend a note, a requirement for blues harp.
Corky Siegel is a marvel at bending a note.
I never could master it. I left the class that first session and went home. It was one more Keeping retirement weird. Charters, unions and my aging memory. | Fred Klonsky: