Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…
 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL





My Favorite Posts In 2017 – So Far
Every year I identify my personal favorite posts, and it’s time for my mid-year selection. You can see my choices for each of the past ten years here. And you can also see a list of my My All-Time Favorite Posts! I’ve also been highlighting some of the “best-of-the-best” in the “A Look Back” series. I’m adding this post to All Mid-Year 2017 “Best” Lists In One Place . Here are My Favorite Posts I


Using “Google Story Builder” To Encourage Students To Study English Over The Summer
I’ve previously posted some of the activities I’ll be doing with my class of Beginning ELLs over the last two weeks of school: Here’s What I’m Doing As A Final With Beginning ELLs , Here’s What I’m Doing As “Part Two” For My ELL Beginner Finals Today, I thought I’d share a third activity… The last time I tried Google Story Builder , it was off-line. That was a bummer – it’s always been a great to


This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Ed Policy Issues

© 2011 CGP Grey , Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues (You might also be interested in The Best Articles, Videos & Posts On Education Policy In 2017 – So Far ): How 


Pins Of The Week

I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated over 12,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). I’ve begun placing the “most popular” Pin of the week – accor
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL

© 2010 Enokson , Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio Four years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention. You might also be interested in The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2016 – Part Two Here are this week’s choices: The “must-read” piece for this
Classroom Instruction Resources Of The Week

© 1970 Pip R. Lagenta , Flickr | CC-BY-ND | via Wylio Each week, I publish a post or two containing three or four particularly useful resources on classroom instruction, and you can see them all here. You might also be interested in The Best Articles (& Blog Posts) Offering Practical Advice & Resources To Teachers In 2016 – Part Tw o and The Best Resources On Class Instruction In 2017 – So Far .
The U.N. Says June 5th Is “World Environment Day” – Here Are Related Resources

June 5th is World Environment Day . I’ve just revised The Best Resources For World Environment Day .
Video: “Top 10 Worlds Tallest Buildings”

I’m adding this new video to The Best Sites To Learn About The World’s Tallest Buildings , and I have also completely revised and updated that list:

YESTERDAY

“The Best Q&A Posts of 2017 – So Far”

The Best Q&A Posts of 2017 – So Far is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. I share my personal choices for the best posts that have appeared there so far this year. I’m adding it to All Mid-Year 2017 “Best” Lists In One Place .
This Week In Web 2.0

In yet another attempt to get at the enormous backlog I have of sites worth blogging about, I post a regular feature called “The Week In Web 2.0.” (you might also be interested in The Twenty-Five Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education In 2017 – So Far ). I also sometimes include tech tools or articles about them that might not exactly fit the definition of Web 2.0: 25+ Tools For Spicing Up Your
Amazing Video Of Jupiter

Here’s an amazing video composed of images from the Juno spacecraft. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning & Teaching About The Juno Spacecraft and to The Best Images Taken In Space . Read more about it at Wired.
Three New Resources On “Fake News” & Information Literacy

Here are three new additions to The Best Tools & Lessons For Teaching Information Literacy – Help Me Find More : Fake news – a lesson plan is from The Teacher James, and is for ELLs. 9 lessons to boost media literacy is by Frank Baker. Storyzy is an interesting new tool that lets you verify quotes. Unfortunately, it only goes back to 2015, but is continually updated. You can read more about it at
“How can I Implement ‘Genius Hour’?”

How can I Implement ‘Genius Hour’? is the new “question-of-the-week” at my Education Week Teacher column. Feel free to leave responses in the comments section there or here…
New Resources For Teaching & Learning About The Reality Of Climate Change

Not matter what President Trump says or does, most teachers, of course, will continue to teach the facts of climate change. Here are some new additions to the massive The Best Sites To Learn About Climate Change list: Stanford has an impressive climate change curriculum . Climate Change Effects Explained in Maps is from GIS Geography. Racing to Find Answers in the Ice is a NY Times interactive. T
Another Good Simon’s Cat Video For ELLs: “Copy Cat”

Simon’s Cat videos are always great ones to show to English Language Learners and have them write and discuss what happens in them. A new one just came out today called “Copy Cat.” You might also be interested in The Best Fun Videos 
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: