Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Who to Vote For?

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Who to Vote For?:

Who to Vote For?


In discussions with friends and neighbors, I find two kinds of voters.  The "I got my ballot, filled it out and mailed it already" and the "I'm waiting until the last minute" voter.  I'm somewhere in-between.

I'm going to give you my picks for School Board but also throw out some picks for City Council as I think the make-up of the City Council could have a large affect on Seattle Schools (given the aggressive nature of Mayor Murray on this issue).

Note: in the primary you only vote for a School Board candidate if your district is up for election this year. However, after the primary, in the General election, you WILL be voting for four candidates.

Seattle School Board

District 1: I am truly disappointed in this race but both candidates, Michael Christophersen and Scott Pinkham, are moving onto the General election as they are the only two candidates.  Neither has a webpage or Facebook page and I certainly hope we get to know more about them because one will be elected.  (That is, unless there is a write-in candidate to be found.  Stranger things have happened.)

District 3Jill Geary.  Both Lauren McGuire and Geary are bright, capable women.  But I believe Jill Geary has the outlook and critical thinking skill set that this district needs right now.   The Times endorsed McGuire and The Stranger endorsed Geary.  (I want to note that somehow Geary's endorsements did not make it into the primary literature so I want to note that she is endorsed by: 


  • Washington State Democrats Progressive Caucus
  • Martin Luther King County Labor Council
  • King County Democrats
  • King County Young Democrats
  • 46th District Democrats
  • Metropolitan Democratic Club of Seattle
  • IUOE Local 609
  • Seattle School Board Director Sue Peters
  • State Representative Jessyn Ferrell
  • King County Councilmember Rod Dembowski
  • Seattle City Councilmember Mike O'Brien
  • Seattle City Councilmember Bruce Harrell
  • Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn (fmr)
  • Shoreline City Councilmember Janet Way (fmr)
District 4Rick Burke and Laura Gramer are advancing onto the General as they are the only two in their race.  I support Burke in this race.

District 6: Leslie Harris.  I supported Marty McLaren (and indeed worked on her campaign last time) but while she is a kind, gentle soul, she has been a disappointment.  Just like Geary over McGuire, Harris over McLaren because Leslie Harris has the keen eye and skills to ask critical questions and get real answers to support students/parents/educators AND taxpayers. Her election motto says it all: Transparency, Trust, Equity.

She has been endorsed by both the Times and The Stranger.  I invite you to check her endorsements page at her website; it's long and pretty amazing.

City Council

District 1 -  Lisa Herbold (Shannon Braddock is the corporate-supported 
Seattle Schools Community Forum: Who to Vote For?: