Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, August 3, 2014

My remarks to the National Society of High School Scholars

My remarks to the National Society of High School Scholars:




which I delivered yesterday in Lisner Auditorium at George Washington University.
I was invited to speak on behalf of the Educators of Distinction, those educators who had been selected by the student members of the organization.
This was the third time I have been asked to fulfill this role.
I have lost track of how many times students have so selected me - I do remember one year two of my students did.
Anyhow, make of my words what you will.
They are below the fold.
Remarks for NSHSS  
delivered August 2, 2014
Lisner Auditorium
George Washington University
Washington DC
As I look out at those before me, I hesitate as a teacher to speak on behalf of the student members of the National Society of High School Scholars.  After all, I am a teacher, not a student.
And yet I know the importance of the Society to students because of my students who have become members, whether I have nominated them or other teachers have.
In one sense I would like all of my students to be eligible for the National Society of High School Scholars.  I am saddened that I am not able to make that happen.
I am delighted to suggest to students that they might want to participate in the society.  I have seen the benefits they receive.
I think especially of one of my former students, Gabrielle Robinson, who was a major scholarship winner, and how much her participation meant to her.
Students, your presence here, and that of your parents, demonstrates you recognize the value of your participation.
I speak to you today on behalf of the Educators of Distinction.  We hold that role because one of you or one of your compatriots in the Society has picked each of us as a “teacher, counselor, or administrator who has made a positive impact on their lives during their high school career.”  To date there are only about 40,000 Educators of Distinction out of more than 3 million educators.
As a teacher there are many ways to evaluate my work.  Some propose to do it by the test My remarks to the National Society of High School Scholars: