Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 9, 2014

Feminist high school boys declare: “I am a feminist” « Feminist Teacher

Feminist high school boys declare: “I am a feminist” « Feminist Teacher:



Feminist high school boys declare: “I am a feminist”




Thinks boys can’t be feminists? The seven boys who have taken my high school feminism class in the last two years disagree. They even got together to make a video to share the ways in which feminism has made an impact on their lives as young men.
“My reason for taking the feminism course is that especially in high school, there’s not opportunities like this that come around, ever,” says Bruke Abraha, a high school senior who took my feminism class when he was a junior in the fall of 2012.
“At one point, we wrote an intersectionality essay, and that taught me that nothing is really one-dimensional. Like you can’t just be black. You can be black and gay; or like black, gay, disabled. There are many different things that don’t relate to the master narrative,” Nathaniel Magloire, senior, who also took my course in 2012 and later Feminist high school boys declare: “I am a feminist” « Feminist Teacher: