Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

5-21-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:






Research Studies Of The Week
I often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature. By the way, you mi
Flag Day Resources
June 14th is celebrated as Flag Day in the United States. You might be interested in The Best Sites For Learning About Flag Day.
Father’s Day Resources
Father’s Day is on the third Sunday of June, and you might be interested in The Best Father’s Day Sites. Additional suggestions are always welcome…
The Best Resources Discussing The Importance Of Art In Education — Help Me Find More
Michelle Obama highlighted the importance of art education yesterday, I’m working with one of our art teachers on a joint ESL/art activity this week, and I have an upcoming column on the topic over at Education Week. All these events combined to make me think it was time for a “Best” list. However, I’m not that sure what to include. So, I’m starting off with a few links and hope that readers will

“What Are the Best Ways for Teachers to Work With School Counselors?”
What Are the Best Ways for Teachers to Work With School Counselors? is the latest question of the week at my Education Week Teacher column. Feel free to leave responses there or here….


How We Can Develop a Culture of Success in Schools Is Topic Of My New BAM! Radio Program
What Can We Do to Develop a Culture of Success in Schools? is the title of my latest BAM! Radio program. Heather Wolpert-Gawron, Chris Lehmann, and I have a ten minute conversation about the topic. Look for their written contributions in a future post at my Ed Week blog.


Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL — Gold Mine Included!
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: I’m starting off with a goldmine. Check out this tweet and go the link — you won’t regret it: Stanford Ed. School releases trove of #ELL resources online that were previously used for teacher training http://t.co/CA6VJVb5R
Even More World Cup Resources
Here are even more additions to The Best Sites For Learning About The 2014 World Cup In Brazil: Soccer Fever: Learning About the World Cup in Brazil is from The New York Times Learning Network. The Newest #RioProblem: Olympic Sailing Events to Take Place In Polluted Dump is from The Atlantic. World Cup 2014: technology set for striking role in tournament is from The guardian. This Brazilian graf
More Great Commencement Speeches
Here are some new additions to The Best Commencement Speeches: Charlie Day’s Commencement Speech Is the Only One You Need to Hear is from Slate. What We Learned From The Best Commencement Speeches Ever is from NPR and includes a data base of 300 of them. The Greatest Commencement Speech Ever is from The Washington Post.


5-19-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Learn About Synonyms & The World Cup In My Latest NY Times Post For ELLsLearn about synonyms and the World Cup in my latest New York Times post for English Language Learners. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About The 2014 World Cup In Brazil. You can see all my previous 40 NY Times posts here.by Larry Ferla