Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 29, 2014

teacherken at Daily Kos This Week 3-29-14

teacherken at Daily Kos:

teacherken at Daily Kos This Week




“There are a lot of places in the world at risk from rising sea levels, but Bangladesh is at the top of everybody’s list,” said Rafael Reuveny, a professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University at Bloomington. “And the world is not ready to cope with the problems.” The effects of climate change have led to a growing sense of outrage in developing nations, many of

I suggest that you will want to read Charles M. Blow
in a column for the Thursday New York Times titled Crimea and Punishment. Blow manages to do a number of things well in this column.  For example, he does a very good job of pushing back against Mitt Romney's comments on Face the Nation, writing The refused-to-be-vanquished insist on being vindicated. But as is the case in many of these circumstances, the dance between diplomacy and force, between

MAR 25

Eugene Robinson take down Paul Ryan
Blaming poverty on the mysterious influence of “culture” is a convenient excuse for doing nothing to address the problem. That is the first paragraph of Paul Ryan’s culture attack is an excuse to do nothing about poverty, Robinson's Tuesday Washington Post column, which I strongly urge all to read and pass on. Robinson covers points after point, totally tearing apart the implicit racism of Ryan's

MAR 22

Daily Kos is what WE make of it
Seriously. I am a long-time denizen. At times I have been very active in posting and commenting.  I think my record is 6 posts in one day. At others I may seem to disappear - this is only my 7th post in 22 days this month (although I have a few things in the queue which will go up soon enough). Yet the site is of no less value to me -  in the limited time I may have available I am still able to re

MAR 12

The Failure of Test-Based Accountability
is the title of this blog at Education Week by Marc Tucker.  Diane Ravitch calls it the best thing she has ever read by Tucker, who is  the president and CEO of the National Center on Education and the Economy and an internationally recognized expert on education reform and a leader in benchmarking the policies and practices of the countries with the best education systems in the world. (backgroun