Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 24, 2014

Flipping, Follow Up, Modeling, and Reflection | Connected Principals

Flipping, Follow Up, Modeling, and Reflection | Connected Principals:



Flipping, Follow Up, Modeling, and Reflection

Flipped-ClassroomAt Gahanna Lincoln High School, several teachers have implemented the Flipped Classroom model. They and Assistant Principal, Aaron Winner (@aaronwinner), shared their Flipped experiences at our January staff meeting and the response was very positive. Their presentation was a well-organized, engaging, and reflective of their learning.
Whenever I get a chance, I ask staff about how things are going, especially during informal conversations. I’ve recently asked about professional development needs and a number of times I heard a similar response, “We love all the presentations at staff meetings, but there is no follow up. We get excited about what we see and hear, but we aren’t given any time to try it or to came back later to talk about it.” I appreciate their feedback because they expressed a desire to learn, so I need to provide the conditions for that to take place. This caused me to peruse my notes from the book, 10-Minute In-Service by Todd Whitaker (@Todd) and Annette Breaux (@AnnetteBreaux). I knew I had to do something to address the concerns of  a lack of time and a lack of follow up. 
My Dean of Curriculum, Tia Holliman (@Ms._Holliman) and I discussed this in Follow-Upgreat detail as our March staff meeting approached because I wanted to do more than just talk about the Flipped Classroom as an effective instructional strategy, I wanted to model it. I noticed there is a significant amount that I or others talk at our staff during this time as opposed to us interacting, engaging each other in meaningful conversation, or participating in learning