Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 27, 2014

2-27-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:







The “All-Time” Best Social Studies Sites
I’ve been posting annual lists of The Best Social Studies Sites for a number of years. I thought it would be useful for readers, my students, and me to review them all and identify my choices for the “all-time” best ones. I’ve begun creating a number of these “All-Time” Best list, with The “All-Time” Best Ways To Create Online Content Easily & Quickly being the first ; The “All-Time” Best Web
Video: Though It Seems Like A Parody, It’s A Real Professional Development Event
Karen Lewis, head of the Chicago Teachers Union, sent this out tonight: This is what PD looks like in Chicago. Sick. http://t.co/SmF4kPszIS — Karen Lewis (@KarenLewisCTU) February 28, 2014   Here is the video’s description: This presenter was one of several consultants flown in from California and the United Kingdom for the Chicago Public Schools’ Office of Strategic School Support Services’ spec


Check Out Our New Article: “English-Language Learners and Academic Language”
My colleague and co-author, Katie Hull Sypnieski, and I just published a post over at Edutopia titled English-Language Learners and Academic Language. I think readers might find it helpful. I’m adding it to The Best Websites For Developing Academic English Skills & Vocabulary.




2-26-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Another Study Demonstrates The Ineffectiveness Of Extrinsic Motivation, But Also Something More….Yet another study has found that extrinsic motivation is not a effective in enhancing motivation. Since there is so much research showing this already, that’s not really big news. But it’s the details of this study that are part