Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 29, 2013

NYC Public School Parents: Sullivan Thanks Scott Stringer for Support, Resigns from School Board

NYC Public School Parents: Sullivan Thanks Scott Stringer for Support, Resigns from School Board:

Sullivan Thanks Scott Stringer for Support, Resigns from School Board




With Scott Stringer's inauguration as the Comptroller of the City of New York, my service on the Panel for Educational Policy as his appointee will come to an end.  I sent the letter below to formally resign and thank him for his years of support.   There are many others I owe thanks to as well.   As I had little experience of educational policy when I was appointed, I relied on many knowledgeable parents, students, teachers, administrators, journalists and academics to educate me on the issues and help me articulate the positions that were best for the students.  And finally, I'd like to thank my family for their patience and support.


December 26th, 2013


1 Centre Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10007

Dear Borough President Stringer,

Given the approaching end of your term as Manhattan Borough President and the fact that I serve at your pleasure on the Panel for Educational Policy, I wanted to formally resign in order to clear the way for Borough President-elect Brewer to make a new appointment. 

I also want to take a minute to thank you for your unique support for me as your appointee to the school board.  In an era when “government” was far too often assumed to be something imposed on the people by the city’s elites you preserved the democratic principle