Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ed Reform Needs a Nixon-to-China Moment - Bridging Differences - Education Week

Ed Reform Needs a Nixon-to-China Moment - Bridging Differences - Education Week:

Ed Reform Needs a Nixon-to-China Moment

Today, Robert Pondiscio, the executive director of CitizenshipFirst, joins Deborah Meier on Bridging Differences. He will blog with her for the next month or more.
Thanks Deborah, for inviting me to blog with you at Bridging Differences.  I'm grateful to have the opportunity to engage with you here over the next few weeks. 
Pondiscio_Blog.jpgLet me tell you about two of my friends in education, Chris Lehmann and Doug Lemov.  I admire them both personally and professionally, although you could hardly imagine two more different characters.  Chris is the son of a labor lawyer who founded the Science Leadership Academy  (SLA), a progressive magnet high school in Philadelphia. Doug is revered in the world of so-called "No Excuses" charter schools.  I've been a big booster of his work, especially his book Teach Like a Champion.
Doug is as quiet as Chris is gregarious.  I sense they would bond over their love of sports, teaching, and kids, but as far as I know, they haven't met. They probably won't.  And that's a problem. 
Most of my post-classroom work, both at the Core Knowledge Foundation and atCitizenshipFirst, the civic education initiative I'm developing at Democracy Prep Public Schools