Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 28, 2013

11-28-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:





@slekar dabbles in #commoncore and #edreform memes: Any questions?
Follow Tim Slekar on Twitter: @slekar
My hometown of Pgh puts carpetbaggers and amateurs on notice. Stay away, TFA!
Behold, from the Pittsburgh City Paper. Thirty dirty corps members may not seem like much, but it’s a toehold, an opening on the beach that will stage future invasions. It would be just a beginning.


Kids are preconditioned to draw hand turkeys. Hands down.
I wanted to keep the discussion of Thanksgiving in my classroom to a minimum. What I did do, unsuccessfully, was lead a discussion, after reading through a Peanuts Thanksgiving on the iPad, about the many things they have to be thankful for this holiday.  Besides a few initial responses about food, kids’ responses went to […]

I’m thankful for…
On this Thanksgiving Day, here are a few reasons why I’m thankful for being a professional educator. I’m truly thankful for… 1. I’m thankful for my colleagues who show up, everyday, to influence students. My school is definitely not a “walk in the park,” so I’m grateful for all of my colleagues who show up, everyday, […]
The Indignant Teacher’s Unfortunate, Yet Enlightening, Experience
The Indignant Teacher’s Unfortunate, Yet Enlightening, Experience
My Thanksgiving Post
On October 3, 1789, at the urging of both the House and Senate, President George Washington officially declared Thursday, November 26, 1789, to be “a day of publick thanksgiving and prayer”: WHEREAS it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His […]

YESTERDAY

Putting the “Public” Back into Public Education
I made my very first video! Yes, it’s catered specifically to New Mexico, but that’s the fight in which I’m embroiled at this point in time.  But I think that it can be shared with all parents of all states, just to get people exposed. And, hey–it’s set to “Uprising” by Muse.  The best modern […]

11-27-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: Education Reform as Collaboration, Not CompetitionEducation Reform as Collaboration, Not Competition. via Education Reform as Collaboration, Not Competition.by plthomasedd / 2h 11-26-13 @ The Chalk Face@ THE CHALK FACE: Misreading “Grit”: On Treating Children Better than Salmon or Sea TurtlesMisreading \”Grit\”: On Treating Children Better than Salmon or Sea Turtles. via Misreadi