Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Neil Gaiman Should Be U.S. Secretary of Education: “Things can be different” | the becoming radical

Neil Gaiman Should Be U.S. Secretary of Education: “Things can be different” | the becoming radical:

NEIL GAIMAN SHOULD BE U.S. SECRETARY OF EDUCATION: “THINGS CAN BE DIFFERENT”


Some people view the world differently than others.
Some people view education and schools differently than others.
Some people view children, books, and libraries differently than others.
And then there is Neil Gaiman.
I have been a staunch defender of public education, writing often against the negative consequences of Common Core (especially as related to literacy instruction) and doggedly resisting non-educators as leaders of the education reform movement.
Despite my resistance to what I consider misguided reform as well as my skepticism about innovation and market forces, I have conceded a compromise on Common Core, along with a clarification about that compromise. The response to that compromise has been underwhelming.
However, I am now willing to offer another compromise; this time about the qualifications for who should be our