Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 16, 2013

Ravitch’s Reign of Error: My Review | deutsch29

Ravitch’s Reign of Error: My Review | deutsch29:

Ravitch’s Reign of Error: My Review

September 16, 2013


In considering my review of education historian Diane Ravitch’s latest book, Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America’s Public Schools, I decided to write with traditional public school teachers in mind as my audience.
For one, I am a genuine public school teacher, the kind that makes a career of classroom teaching for love of the students and the profession.
Second, I began to directly experience the results of corporate reform when in November 2011 our state board of education (BESE) was officially bought and privatization officially reigned there and, in spring 2012, in the state legislature, so I am keenly aware of the pain privatization brings to my profession.
Third, I find that traditional public school teachers in general know that something is happening “to” them, some war has been declared upon them, but they are unaware of the details.
Fourth, once traditional public school teachers become aware of the details of this war, they will need some concrete advice on the courses of action to follow in order to take back their profession from those who have grabbed it and are systematically handing it over to corporations.
These are the reasons I advise all traditional public school teachers to read Ravitch’s book.
And now, I write expressly to my traditional public school teaching colleagues