Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 8, 2013

9-8-13 Seattle Schools Community Forum

Seattle Schools Community Forum:




Seattle Schools and Arts Education - Part Two
(Forgot I wanted to fire this off so it's on the fly.)When we last left this discussion, the district had received a $1M grant from the Wallace Foundation to improve arts education in SPS.  The money was enough to allow surveys among parents and school staff, create a plan and then plan how to roll it out.The district did not get the implementation grant money (very few districts did) BUT the City

Grants Available for Family Engagement/Books
(Yes, I know I'm supposed to be gone but I saw this in my mail and wanted to pass it along to any interested groups.)The W.K. Kellogg Foundation yesterday announced a $5 million investment to identify and expand promising family engagement efforts that support early childhood educational success.Given your interest in education and family engagement issues, I thought you might be interested in sha
School Board Retreat report
I spent all of Saturday - from 10:30am to 5:00pm - at the School Board Retreat along with the school board directors (except Director Martin-Morris who was at a school board directors conference in Washington, D.C.) and much of the senior staff.The morning session was focused on relationship and trust. The afternoon session was focused on setting the Board's priorities for the coming school year.

9-7-13 Seattle Schools This Week Seattle Schools Community Forum
Seattle Schools Community Forum: Charlie in ChargeDear Readers,I'm taking a brief, scheduled hiatus and have decided to not check in/post while I am gone. So Charlie will carry the banner for the blog.  He does have a full-time job so it's harder for him to post.  But I'm sure he will get the Tuesday and Friday Open Threads going. If you want to guest post, send it to him, he'll vet it and likely