Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

UPDATE: 3 Conversation Starters for the School Year | Connected Principals

3 Conversation Starters for the School Year | Connected Principals:


We Need to Know
cc flickr photo by azjd I began my teaching career at an inner-city school in downtown Phoenix.  For a young man who was from a very small town, in central Kansas, the diversity of the school was staggering — ethnically, economically, and academically.  While I was aware of families in need in our community, I had never been exposed to the level of poverty, and violence, that my downtown Phoenix s

3 Conversation Starters for the School Year

August 6, 2013
By 



Last year, as I documented some of the crucial things that we needed to discuss to further innovative practices in our school, I feel more prepared to have some crucial conversations in my role this year.  I wrote a few blog posts to help guide my own learning but I wanted to put them on one post as a focus for next year.
Below are some posts that I am hoping others can use as conversation starters with staff as they prepare for the 2013-2014 school year.
1.  Is your digital citizenship practice a pass or fail?
Several schools are looking at improving the opportunities for “digital citizenship” in schools, yet are sometimes missing crucial elements.  Blocked sites that can be beneficial to students take away from the “real world” that students live in outside of our schools.  Ignoring discussing “digital citizenship” in schools is also a disservice.
Hopefully, this rubrics is beneficial to see where your school is at, while also sparking some