Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Discussion with Matt Barnum Part 6 (and final) | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

My Discussion with Matt Barnum Part 6 (and final) | Gary Rubinstein's Blog:

My Discussion with Matt Barnum Part 6 (and final)

For links to all 6 part of this discussion go here
Gary,
It’s certainly not surprising that I’ve failed to change your mind, and you’ve failed to change mine. You’ve been thinking about, and living, this issue for much longer than I have, so I apologize if my arguments strike you as stale. I take these arguments seriously though, and so do many others.
I do think there’s value in challenging one’s own thinking and avoiding the level of certainty that, in my opinion, exists to too high a degree on both sides of the education debate. And I think it’s wrong to consider those you disagree with you to be either evil or supremely ignorant – though that’s what you and some of your readers seem to believe about the current set of reformers. In any event, I appreciate your willingness to engage in this discussion with me; I also want to thank your many thoughtful commenters for sharing their thoughts.
I’d like to close our letter writing series with a few suggestions on where ‘reformers’ and