Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

7-24-13 Connected Principals | Sharing. Learning. Leading.

Connected Principals | Sharing. Learning. Leading.:


It’s called leadership…
Let’s be honest with each other for a moment. Let’s take back all the fake smiles and friendly little emails. Let’s tell all the cute puppies to go home and cast aside all the colorful rainbows… Sometimes people just don’t care what you think. They could honestly care less about your opinion and your existence (or lack thereof). You really don’t have much of an effect on them. This is not all pe
Changing To a Competency Based Grading System: A Student View
My New Hampshire high school made the shift to a competency-based grading and reporting system two years ago. Educators who talk to me about that experience often want to know what that change process looked like from a student’s perspective. Surprisingly, most students were comfortable with the shift provided that they believed the school and teachers were effective at explaining how their grade
8 Principal leadership tips for the new year…
I recently had the opportunity to hear Andy Greene, Middle School Principal from New York, speak to us about collaboration and the PLC process. From as soon as I walked in the room, I knew Andy’s session was going to be good. Here are some of the highlights that really had an impact on me:1) – Building principals can’t invite ‘collaboration’ to happen; they must require collaboration to happen. A
Window of Opportunity
It’s always interesting to me how worlds can collide. We had a guest speaker at church tonight, Dr. Tim Kimmel. His sermon was on grace based parenting, particularly, how to get through the sensitive tween years.  While I don’t quite have a tween, (gulp.) I was still struck by a story that I think relates to what we do as educators.  While in the 9th grade, Kimmel arrived at gym class one day to s