Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 22, 2013

7-22-13 teacherken at Daily Kos

teacherken at Daily Kos:






Dionne: After Trayvon, leading with love
“In the jewelry store, they lock the case when I walk in,” the young African American man wrote. “In the shoe store, they help the white man who walks in after me. In the shopping mall they follow me. . . . Black male: Guilty until proven innocent.” “I have lost control of my emotions,” he declared. “Rage, Frustration, Anguish, Despondency, Fatigue, Bitterness, Animosity, Exasperation, Sadness. Em


YESTERDAY
Boys With Tender Hearts and Big Dreams in Their Hoodies
is the title of this powerful post at Reader Supported News by Eve Ensler. It is written in the form of an open letter to Trayvon Martin.  She begins by explaining that   It is unusual for me to write about boys or men unless I am calling them to end the violence against women and girls or asking them to join us in standing up for women's rights.   She acknowledges that is a failure on her part.  
Krugman: The Great Pension Scare
As a teacher I am a public employee. I am already drawing a public pension as a result of retiring in 2012.  When I go back into the classroom next month, even though I am teaching in a jurisdiction covered by the same pension plan, I am no longer required to contribute (but as a result I also receive less pay).  Given what Michigan is trying to do with pensions in Detroit, I pay close attention t

7-21-13 teacherken at Daily Kos
teacherken at Daily Kos: Krugman: The Great Pension ScareAs a teacher I am a public employee. I am already drawing a public pension as a result of retiring in 2012.  When I go back into the classroom next month, even though I am teaching in a jurisdiction covered by the same pension plan, I am no longer required to contribute (but as a result I also receive less pay).  Given what Michigan is tryin