Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Daily Kos: A very quick update on me

Daily Kos: A very quick update on me:


A very quick update on me

As people who read this diary from two days ago, I have come to the conclusion that I really should go back into the classroom.  On Wednesday I called the woman who putting together something for me not in a school to tell her, and she was very disappointed, although I might still do it part-time or even full-time temporarily until I am back in a school.
This morning I taught a 30 minute mini-lesson to a group of 8th graders at a school that has expressed interest in me.  Rather than describe my conversation with the hiring administrator, let me share two things.  I sent an email thanking the teacher in whose room I was for letting me borrow her kids, and she emailed me back:
It was an absolute pleasure to watch you teach.  You can borrow my students anytime!
And the kids?  When i thanked them for letting me spend some time with them, those sweet kids applauded me!!!Then this afternoon I got an email from someone I know, with whom I have worked in the past, who asked if I might be interested in a position he could create for me at his school.  While he and I were setting up a visit I got an email from another school where i had interviewed last week asking if I would come in and teach a sample lesson to a class that would be students I would be teaching next year.  That sample lesson will be Monday, I will meet with my friend on Tuesday, i should hear back from the school today no later than Wednesday.
There are of course no guarantees, but apparently despite my gray hair and somewhat aging bones, there is interest in having me teach.
Even if none of these three opportunities pans out, today was important.  It was wonderful to again be engaging with young people, challenging them, see them wrestling with new ideas.
So maybe one of these.  And if not, I will keep trying until I find a classroom setting where I can be what I really am, a teacher of adolescents.
Peace