Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Missouri Education Watchdog: Another Disenchanted Teacher on Common Core

Missouri Education Watchdog: Another Disenchanted Teacher on Common Core:


Another Disenchanted Teacher on Common Core

From tomakeaprairie.com and On Programs, Broken Promises and Why We Aren’t Finland:


And that brings me to another reason I’m heartsick. Having actually welcomed the Common Core Standards for the emphasis they seemed to place on reading for deeper levels of meaning, I now find myself feeling disappointed and duped.

I’m heartsick for another broken promise that’s explicitly stated in the Standards: that teachers would be “free to provide students with whatever tools and knowledge their professional judgement and experience identify as most helpful for meeting the goals set out