Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Blackboard Wars Episode 4 | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

Blackboard Wars Episode 4 | Gary Rubinstein's Blog:


Blackboard Wars Episode 4

With two more episodes in this first season of Oprah’s Blackboard wars, they do not have a lot of time left to complete a successful ‘turnaround.’  I can’t say how good this school was before the charter takeover, as I wasn’t there.  I also can’t say how good the school system was in New Orleans before the TFA led chartering of most of the schools in the city.  My sense is that the schools were pretty bad before, and now they’re also bad, but in a more corrupt way with ‘reformers’ getting rich from it.
In this episode we see a pretty stunning display of community resistance to what is going on at the school.  Though the head of the charter company claims that most of the community embraces them, and there are just a few loud critics, I don’t know if I believe him.
In one scene a community activist is kicked out of the school while expressing her frustration.  This story line is edited in a way that I think is supposed to make the frustrated community members seem like kooks.  Instead, I