Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Vol.#22: The Dark Side of Choosing School Choice | Teaching Speaks Volumes

Vol.#22: The Dark Side of Choosing School Choice | Teaching Speaks Volumes:


Vol.#22: The Dark Side of Choosing School Choice


Freedom-of-choice-a22077920During the time I was visiting these four schools and writing these posts, this article was released about Wake County dropping the choice plan. However, when I entered my address in the Student Assignment page today, I still got a total of 16 elementary schools, 10 middle schools, and 9 high schools in varying Base, Calendar, and Magnet options for the upcoming 2013-2014 school year. This still looks far from resolved, however.
So…what does all this mean? After visiting an array of options as both a teacher and a parent, what is my final analysis? I have two responses to these two questions, one for each of my two roles.
As a parent…
I don’t question for a minute that every single parent wants what is best for his or her child. Each child is unique, and a one-size-fits-all approach is not the best fit to education. Schools are not factories and students are not widgets.
However, it’s been stated that too many choices is stressful, and limiting choices