Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Exploring the Origins of the Common Core « Diane Ravitch's blog

Exploring the Origins of the Common Core « Diane Ravitch's blog:


Exploring the Origins of the Common Core

Jim Martinez decided to research the sources of the Common Core State Standards. Given their importance as a redesign of the nation’s highly decentralized education system, we can expect to see many more such efforts to understand the origins of this important document.
“Engaging the nonsense – a brief investigation of the Common Core”
A teacher asked me where the Common Core came from, another suggested that I “teach” the Common Core in my Master’s degree level courses.
So my curiosity got the best of me and I spent some time understanding something about Common Core from my perspective as a scholar and educator.
My first discovery is that the Common Core is a political document. That may seem fairly obvious, but what I