Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Daily Kos: so it's Saturday, and I usually reflect on teaching

Daily Kos: so it's Saturday, and I usually reflect on teaching:


so it's Saturday, and I usually reflect on teaching

and that will be part this piece.  But this is a morning where I have a lot on my mind.
As I write this, sitting in my local Starbucks, about 1/4 of our students and a number of our faculty and staff are wearing their bright red school sweatshirts and are spending the day volunteering at the DC Homeless Shelter as their participation in the day of service.  I wanted to join them, but am on the edge of a cold, and was exhausted by the end of the week - I actually slept for 11 hours last night.   The students might get a real treat - the adults had to provide their birthdays and social security numbers, which is standard procedure for being cleared by the Secret Service.  In other words, they are likely to encounter at least some of the Obama family, perhaps even the President.
What is more important is this:  many of students come from families that do not have much.  And yet they will learn from this event, as from others to which we take them from time to time, that even if you lack material