Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Nikhil Goyal Interview: A High School Student Offers a Critique of Our Schools - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Nikhil Goyal Interview: A High School Student Offers a Critique of Our Schools - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


Nikhil Goyal Interview: A High School Student Offers a Critique of Our Schools

Follow me on Twitter at @AnthonyCody
A seventeen year-old high school student from New York named Nikhil Goyal has been speaking out on education reform. In addition to several high profile television appearances, he has authored a book, One Size Does Not Fit All, A Student's Assessment of School. I asked him to explain his critique this week.
Question: What led you to write this book?
Nikhil: In the summer of 2010, I took a three-week trip to India to visit family in Delhi and Calcutta. After I came back to the United States, I started to review the notes I'd jotted down from conversations I had with Indian students and parents on their frustrations with school. That September I started as a sophomore at Syosset High School. I was bored to death every single day in class. This led me to start speaking with other students around the country and realizing that I wanted to drastically disrupt the system by means of writing a book. The