Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 20, 2012

A letter to Obama. « Fred Klonsky

A letter to Obama. « Fred Klonsky:


A letter to Obama.

Education Historian Diane Ravitch called on us to write letters to President Obama on October 17th.
October 17, 2012
President Barack Obama
Dear Mr. Obama:
I am a retired teacher and teacher librarian, a mother, and a grandmother. I have worked in education for forty years. I attended all public schools in Los Angeles and went on to a fine public university for both undergraduate and graduate school. I have seen our schools go from places of nurture and caring that provided every subject a child needs, to essentially institutions that teach to the test and discourage creativity. As a teacher I chose to work in the areas of Los Angeles that were considered most dangerous and poverty-stricken. I felt that I was needed there more and I