Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 10, 2012

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week One 2012

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week One 2012:


Week One 2012

Number one-1=
And so it begins…
It was a pretty good week. Feedback from one of the kids about day one was that he liked me, but I wasn’t warm and friendly. I wasn’t trying to do the “don’t smile until Christmas” routine, but I did make an effort to be friendlier as the week went on. There is not a lot of reason to crab on this group of kids, who are very sweet for sixth graders. Normally kids in this grade-level are feeling out their adolescent attitudes. This group on initial impression does not seem prone to eye-rolling and talking back, so I’m counting my blessings.
Things were going so well that we did a side trip on Wednesday to the native plant garden we have at the school. Up next week…hand print stencils (we are studying early humans), and journaling while visit the garden again. We’ll also start reading our first novel, Hatchet. I’m looking forward to it, and I think the kids are too. The only