Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

UPDATE: Seattle Schools Community Forum: Updates on WA State PTSA Opposition to I-1240

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Updates on WA State PTSA Opposition to I-1240:


Another Ill-Informed Times Editorial

I have pretty much given up on the idea that the Seattle Times will ever write a well-informed, well-reasoned or well-written opinion piece on public education. Their latest offering, Define state's education priorities before boosting funding, is just as insipid and weak as any of those that came before.

Believe it not, they want the state to decide, in advance of any additional funding as required by the McCleary decision or as promised by both gubernatorial candidates, how they would spend it. I guess they don't remember the state legislature's recent definition of Basic Education.

Teacher Evaluation Law critiqued

Liv Finne of the Washington Policy Center wrote an article for Crosscut, A failing grade for the state's new teacher-evaluation bill.

Ms Finne writes "The federal government has no business telling us how to evaluate our teachers,". I suspect the same could be said of the state legislature. What other state employees have their evaluations dictated by statute? What do state legislators know about evaluating teachers?

Whether you agree or disagree with Ms Finne or the Washington Policy Center, they are thoughtful and provide rationale for their conclusions. I find nothing more illuminating to read than a well-written and thoughtful article by someone who disagrees with me. I like to be challenged in my thinking.



Updates on WA State PTSA Opposition to I-1240

The Seattle Times had an update to its news that the Washington State PTSA reviewed I-1240 and, despite their past support for charters, stated it was opposed to I-1240.  (Note: Ramona Hattendorf, WA State PTSA, let me know that they are not going to actively campaign against the measure but do not support it.)

Apparently Stand for Children thinks that the folks at the WSPTSA can't read.

Shannon Campion, a spokesman for the initiative, said she was surprised by the PTA’s decision.
“We respectfully disagree with the PTA board’s position and view it as essentially a misreading because of the strong parent involvement in this initiative,” Campion said.

Really?  Because: