Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 20, 2012

More with Less? Really? Welcome to Back to School - Lily's Blackboard | Lily's Blackboard

More with Less? Really? Welcome to Back to School - Lily's Blackboard | Lily's Blackboard:

Lily's Blackboard Rotating Header Image

More with Less? Really? Welcome to Back to School

Yeah, we all the got the memo, and here’s the thing: if one more person smiles at me and says, “Look, times are tough. You’ve got to learn to do more with less…” Well, let’s just say, you don’t want to be that person.
Let me go on record as saying I am a Utah teacher. The highest class sizes. The lowest per-pupil expenditures. A state motto that says: Stack ‘Em Deep/Teach ‘Em Cheap. I’ve had 39 5th graders in one small classroom all pushing and shoving for my attention.
I can stretch a dollar until you can see through it. I get it. Times are tough. And getting tougher.
But here’s the other thing: teachers, support staff and administrators don’t need