Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Empathy for a Teacher

Empathy for a Teacher:


Empathy for a Teacher

In the airy, sun-filled space that will house my son’s foray into formal education, I watched as a tow-headed classmate named Thomas patrolled the edges of the room, choking back tears.
It was the first day of school – and my wife and I were already doing our best not to hover too closely over Leo, who was, thankfully, already hard at play in the newly discovered puzzle section. Leo’s co-teachers, Ms. Allison and Ms. Luz, were busy greeting (and consoling) parents, organizing materials, and helping the 28 children – each one their family’s own special miracle – find a way to feel comfortable amidst an unfamiliar world.
For a few moments, I noticed that Thomas was alone. He wandered purposelessly in search of ballast, his cheeks streaked with tears. Another boy in the class noticed, too – clearly a veteran of this multi-age classroom where children spend their first three years of school with the same teachers. Without any adult prompting, he went over to Thomas, took hold of his hands, and gave him a welcoming hug.
I felt as grateful as if Thomas had been my own child. Such compassionate behavior in someone so young was a