Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Perils Associated With Standardization | Connected Principals

The Perils Associated With Standardization | Connected Principals:


The Perils Associated With Standardization

Image credit: http://www.noodle.org/noodlings/k-12/decoding-standardized-test-scores
This summer I have made a commitment to reading more and have chosen books that I think will help me become a better leader.  A few weeks ago I finished Drive by Daniel Pink and am now halfway through withLinchpin by Seth Godin.  I highly recommend both of these book at any educators who is interested about the science behind motivation or overcoming resistance to become and indispensable component of an educational organization.
Through my reading of both books it has become painfully clear that many of our current politicians and so-called educational reformers have it completely wrong when it comes to standardization.  Now I have always thought this was the case, but these two books have not only reaffirmed my views, but also given me a great deal of concern as we inch closer to an educational system that focuses on test scores as the number one determinant