Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Suspension Crisis in NYC Schools « EdVox

Suspension Crisis in NYC Schools « EdVox:


Suspension Crisis in NYC Schools

High suspension rates will continue unless Bloomberg and Walcott require positive alternatives to suspension in all schools
Tafadar Sourov is a senior at Belmont Preparatory High School on the Roosevelt Campus in The Bronx and he writes:
My school administration loves enforcing zero tolerance policies, going after students for wearing hats and not wearing uniforms. They create an atmosphere that anticipates the criminality of the youth, while dehumanizing us and reducing us to invisible faces and unheard voices since there can be no justice for us in this system. They don’t stop there either, they go after teachers who they can’t subjugate, and have scared quite a few into resigning. I’ve been organizing in my school for the last year and a half, working with young people who were hurt by these policies, but never expected it to touch me this much.
One day, I met up with a visitor to my school to interview members of our student union.  The schools security