Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

This Week In Education: Bruno: How Seniority Sends Teachers Into Charters

This Week In Education: Bruno: How Seniority Sends Teachers Into Charters:


Bruno: How Seniority Sends Teachers Into Charters

D1325will-work-for-money-postersThis summer my family will be relocating from the Bay Area to Southern California. This means that a fair amount of my free time these days is occupied by looking for work in the Los Angeles area.
Since my preferred placement is middle school science in a public school with generally under-served demographics, I'm pretty confident that I'll eventually find a job for the 2012-2013 school year, but I haven't landed one yet.
It's not for lack of trying. I've contacted 20 or so schools over the last couple of months inquiring about potential openings. The only formal applications I've been able to submit, however, have been to charter schools.
Why charter schools?  Read on for all the gory details.
Well, it's partly because they're the only ones hiring. The responses - when I get them - from traditional district schools are