Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hop on, Pop! « MomsRising Blog

Hop on, Pop! « MomsRising Blog:


Hop on, Pop!

My father influenced the course of my life in two dramatic ways. Before I could read, he took me to the public library and read me all the Madeline and Babar the Elephant books. We must have spent hours and hours doing this – me on his lap, his chin resting lightly on the top of my head – because it is one of my clearest memories. These same stories were among the first I bought and read to my own children, and I still give them often as baby or birthday gifts.
Years later, the night before I left for my first year of college, he told me not to become “one of those radical, militant feminists, because it is just so unattractive.” My father died 20 years ago, before any of his grandchildren were born, to our great loss. On the other hand, I grew up to be a French major, a mainstream,  non-violent, but passionate feminist, and a constant advocate for the well-being and financial security of those who do the world-changing work of motherhood. Down with patriarchy!!
As backyard grills are primed for this weekend’s Father’s Day festivities, I ponder my father’s influence on my life and how fathering has changed since Madeline had her appendix out and Babar married Celeste. Dads  today