Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Daily Kos: On this day in 1967

Daily Kos: On this day in 1967:


On this day in 1967

a unanimous Supreme  Court issued its opinion in Loving v Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967).  The case was argued April 10, with the Court quickly reaching its decision.
Mildred Jeter was Black, Robert Loving was White. They met in Virginia, married in the District of Columbia because interracial marriage was illegal in Virginia, then returned to Virginia to live.
They were charged by a grand jury with having violated Virginia's law, entered a guilty plea and
and were sentenced to one year in jail; however, the trial judge suspended the sentence for a period of 25 years on the condition that the Lovings leave the State and not return to Virginia together for 25 years. He stated in an opinion that:
"Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And, but for the interference with his arrangement, there would be no cause 


... and now I am gone . . .

Today was the last day for teachers.  I arrived at school shortly after 7 am to wash my boards and pack up the last of my possessions.  I had to turn in my parking pass, my stapler and tape dispenser, all computer-related equipment, get my room inspected and turn in my keys, and then turn in my book inventory and a copy of my final exam to my department chair.
I could have been finished by 9 AM, except the administrator responsible for my neighborhood did not come in until lunch time because of car trouble.  But I would not have left earlier.
For this is an important day for our faculty.   It is the day when we recognize those of us who are leaving.