Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 14, 2012

A Science Teacher's View: The Backward-Engineered Common Core Science Standards - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

A Science Teacher's View: The Backward-Engineered Common Core Science Standards - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


A Science Teacher's View: The Backward-Engineered Common Core Science Standards

Guest post by Chemtchr.
Last Friday afternoon, Achieve's "Next Generation Science Standards", as they're calling their Common Core, finally became available. Their "public comment" interval ends June first.

I'm going to argue this Common Core was specifically designed to narrow the scope of education to skills that can be (relatively) easily tested. I described my personal experience with the science core in a comment onAnthony Cody's blog last month. He asked me to expand it into a column, but I couldn't do that until readers could examine the actual Common Core science product.
I was serving a term as a volunteer on my state's Math and Science Advisory Council three years ago. I'm o