Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 14, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: The Charter Fight Continues

Seattle Schools Community Forum: The Charter Fight Continues:


The Charter Fight Continues

Over at the Washington Policy Center, their education person, Liv Finne, is claiming I am spreading "disinformation" about the support for charter schools in Washington State (specific to my column in the Washington Post).

I have to smile.  I don't have to spread anything.  What I wrote was factually true.

She does want to argue over why the two charter bills didn't make it out of committee.  Her take is that the leadership "employed procedural maneuvers" to prevent a vote.  (I'd say that's akin to what the WA State PTA did with their alternative schools resolution.)  That's true but I think if the argument was valid, why couldn't they convince the leadership.  If not, then fight to get new leadership, right, Liv?

She is also claiming I didn't put enough detail into the piece (like when the last vote was on charters which was 2004 and those are dog years to her).  I can only say that anyone who has written for media knows you get a